Department(s) Maintenance Operations, Fort Irwin, CA
Reports to Range operations manager / Direct supervisor
To provide maintenance support of fleet vehicles and engineering equipment for the National Training Center Range operations.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic analyzes malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds and maintains power equipment, such as cranes/lifts, power shovels, scrapers, paving machines, motor graders, trench-digging machines, conveyors, bulldozers, dredges, pumps, compressors and pneumatic tools.
- This worker operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects, dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools, examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges, replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions, and tests overhauled equipment to insure operating efficiency.
- This worker welds broken parts and structural members, may direct workers engaged in cleaning parts and assisting with assembly and disassembly of equipment, and may repair, adjust and maintain a rock crusher and associated equipment.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance checks and services (-10 and -20 Level PMCS) in accordance with appropriate military technical manuals or commercial documentation.
- Perform troubleshooting and mechanical / electrical diagnostics leading to parts order, receipt, fix, repair, or replace equipment/ vehicle components ranging from road wheel / track systems to entire drive train systems.
- Perform quality control checks and test drive vehicles.
- Performs recovery operations on inoperative vehicles.
- Completes and submits vehicle status reports.
- Assist the Motor pool Mgr. with dispatch documents and relative administrative processes
- Maintains personal accountability for assigned tools and equipment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid class A California driver’s license, class C with HAZMAT endorsement preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend U.S. Army Technical and Field Manuals.
- Must be flexible and willing to work irregular shifts, weekends, holidays and overtime.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, lay on the ground, drive a motor vehicle, wear Night Optical Device, use hands and fingers to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools; reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 100 pounds and wear personal protective equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The employee is occasionally required to throw objects, climb or balance, stoop or squat, kneel, crouch, run, and travel via air to remote work sites and work at height (helicopter travel, mountain tops, and elevated walk areas).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The essential functions of the job are performed during all weather conditions, any eight hour shift during the twenty-four hour period of a day, and is outdoors in the Mojave Desert approximately forty miles to the northeast of Barstow, CA.
Travel Requirements : None
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.