This is a full-time, non-exempt position that is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Only internal bargaining unit employees will be considered for this position during the first five days of posting. If filled internally no external applicants will be considered. The HVAC Commercial Mechanic performs all functions required to install, test, troubleshoot, repair, and maintain all types of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), including geothermal, used within the confines of Fort Irwin and supported by this contract.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Safely and independently performs all the duties of a mechanic on HVAC components regardless of manufacturer, model (size), or flow rating.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, rebuilds, conducts performance tuning, teardown, failure analysis, and preventive maintenance of HVAC systems.
- Uses a wide variety of test tools and calibration equipment.
- Calibrates cooling systems.
- Conducts performance parts referencing to find appropriate repair parts.
- Repairs all types of air compressors, pumps, and controls including troubleshooting, repair, and rebuilding of equipment following manufacturers’ recommendations and manuals.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, rebuilds, maintains, and performance tunes all types of power systems related to HVAC systems.
- Performs all troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of all HVAC-related electronics.
- Maintains systems where components and functions are monitored with microprocessors and plc’s.
- Calibrates and troubleshoots all electronic control systems and telemetry
- Provides customer-oriented safety of use instructions as required.
- Presents classes and briefings to soldiers and other users, pertaining to safety or Range Control related equipment.
- Safeguards and maintains assigned Government and company property.
- Supplies customers with requirements concerning any technical information.
- Inspects and repairs systems within technical guidelines as outlined under current publications.
- Support other range segments
- Support other duties as assigned
- Must be able to perform OSHA based lock-out/tag-out procedures.
- Must be able to keep accurate records.
- Must be a skilled parts person with the ability to correctly identify and order parts for a variety of mechanical, electrical, and electronic equipment.
- Must have a basic understanding of military range control and field training operations: familiar with military phraseology and acronyms.
- Must know how to orient and read a military map to an eight digit grid coordinate, and basic knowledge of military weapons and ammunition.
- Must have knowledge of the characteristics and usage of lubricants, coolants, and fuels.
- Must be skilled in computer-controlled systems and their telemetry.
- Must be familiar with and able to troubleshoot any major type of HVAC system.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Ability to use technical manuals, technical bulletins, or manufacturers’ specifications while performing maintenance, troubleshooting, or corrective repairs to HVAC and air compressor/pump systems.
- Ability to accurately read measuring devices, testing equipment, or instruments.
- Ability to use good judgment and common sense when performing job functions.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 100lbs and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least 5 years’ experience with commercial HVAC systems and experience working independently as a HVAC field mechanic.
- Must have a valid California Class C Driver’s License